Fashionistas have been donning gray for years, and now it’s a color you’ll see everywhere – from the runway to the streets. Dress in tonal gray from head to toe or add a pop of color for excitement. Either way you’ll be noticed and applauded for your keen sense of style.
Current fashion trends include a variety of ways to wear gray. If you haven’t yet introduced gray into your wardrobe, look for pieces that will go with what already exists in your closet. Start with outerwear and build from there by adding skirts, pants, tops and sweaters.
Colors to Wear With Gray
Although gray can be worn with any color, there are some combinations that will flatter you more than others. The more confident you are the more options you’ll have. Try on different shades of gray and see which work best for your coloring. If you have very pale skin, you’ll probably want to avoid light gray next to your face. However, you might look fabulous in a light gray skirt with a rose colored top. Or wrap your neck with a jewel-tone scarf.
Suggestions for matching colors with gray:
- charcoal and fuchsia
- dark gray and sky blue
- medium gray and periwinkle or canary yellow
- light gray and purple
- all shades of gray with any jewel tone
Gray Coats and Sweaters
No matter what colors you’re wearing, you can feel confident that topping it with a gray coat or sweater will work. Look for lines that work for you and give you the silhouette that is the most flattering for your body type.
One of the most sophisticated looks is tonal neutrals decorated with lox faux fur or shiny fashion jewelry that provides interest. Don’t be afraid to mix and match fabric weights and textures. Silver gives gray a whole new dimension, so add it with confidence.
Trendy sweaters in gray:
- bulky charcoal cowl neck long-sleeve sweater
- short-sleeve light gray sweater with a scoop neck or mock turtleneck
- Rhinestone or bead embellished gray cardigan that looks fabulous over a jewel-tone top and black or darker gray skirt
- simple pullover V-neck sweater in any shade of gray
- boat-neck gray sweater with ruffles
Gray coat options:
- puffy crop solid or print gray jacket
- car-length charcoal gray coat with barrel buttons or frog closures
- dark gray silk or satin full-length coat for the evening
- gray plaid blazer that can be belted
Gray Skirts and Pants
In order to make gray bottoms work for you, look for classic cuts that are both feminine and flattering to your body type. Avoid pleats in front that tend to cause the fabric to stick out at the abdomen when you sit down. Flat front pants and skirts are generally much more flattering on most women.
Stylish gray skirts:
- A mid-calf length gray skirt can be worn with heels or boots.
- A gray skirted suit creates an elegant look, and it can be worn alone or with any color top.
- A short, shiny gray (or silver) skirt looks fabulous with tonal tights and boots.
Gray pants that will turn heads:
- paper-sack waist, belted, straight-leg pants
- short, cuffed gray pants with colorful knee-high tights or socks
- gray leggings with any color tunic or short dress
- gray denim pants or jeans in your favorite wash